France Telecom: Miserable Line Quality
This page is somewhat obsolete now:
After complaining at France Telecom in France + Guadeloupe
and going public on the Internet,
the quality problem was fixed within three days
shortly after Christmas 2000.
Though no decision has been made yet
whether we receive a refund for the higher cost
during the first nine weeks.
More than 2 months after telephone line installation and
in spite of repeated complaints, France Telecom in Saint Martin/FWI
is not able to provide sufficient line quality
for local or international data exchange. 90% of connections fail after
about 1 minute, and as a result it is impossible to conduct business
at this location.
- installation of phone line in October 2000
in 14, Rue du Général de Gaulle,
Marigot, 97150 Saint Martin, FWI
phone number: +590-52 01 32
installation takes 2.5 hours ! ,
though there already seems to have been a line before
- quality problem:
Line does not stay up for some calls longer than one minute.
- Voice calls work only with a certain handsets.
e.g. when a speakerphone is connected
the line volume goes low after about one minute.
- Data calls (ISP Outremer, ISP Wanadoo, international faxes) fail
after 30 – 60 seconds.
This is not a software configuration problem since the some data is received
and transmitted allowing, for example, an email to be read.
- Dell Inspiron 7500 laptop internal modems, solely connected to the line
(i. e. no other devices in parallel);
tested with three different laptops
- Apple AirBase modem
- Panasonic speakerphone
- called service (10 14)
measured line quality
say it is OK (after approx. 10 seconds of resistance measurement)
- had more than 2,000 phone connections in four weeks,
about 90 per cent of which were less than 60 seconds
(the connection just drops)
- received a phone bill in mid-November 2000:
... (another 18 pages listing connections)
These images list the first pages of the invoice
when trying to connect to ISP Outremer;
for ISP Wanadoo it is the same problem
(listed on the last pages of the invoice).
So it should be safe to assume it is a physical line problem.
- called service again
admited that we might have a problem
- finally had service guys here in the appartement at the end of November:
remapping outgoing line, changing the wall outlet
- line quality remains poor
- local France Telecom agency cannot help
Mr. Gourdine at the local France Telecom agency says
he cannot decide on reducing the amount of the phone bill.
3 Wish List
- A usable telephone line
- Refund of charges for the 'dropped' calls (estimated 50% of the total FF 4016)
- A speedy response (after two months trouble)
copyright © 2000 Klaus Hildner